Over the years, Susanne and I have written a number of posts about aspects of Halloween and how it serves as the holiday gateway. We take different approaches. I look at Halloween decorations and spooky places in Boston. Suze tackles Halloween in the kitchen. No argument from me.
Round up of Halloween Posts
Here’s a roundup of our Halloween posts: spooky, culinary and cultural. Enjoy the tour. Boo!
Boston’s Spooky Places
A Beacon Hill with Boo Halloween – Aline
- Spiritual Temple or Movie House? – Aline
- Boston’s Two Suffolk County Mortuaries – Aline
- Pope Night: An Old Religious Hatred — Aline
- A Not So-Spook Tour at King’s Chapel — Aline
- Dia de Los Muertos: Day of the Dead – Susanne
- The Great Pumpkin — Susanne
- Halloween and the Sugar Monster – Aline
Five Scary Movies
While giving a ghost tour last week, I heard my guests discussing what they considered scariest movies they’d ever seen. I couldn’t believe their selections. Clearly, they had a preference for gory movies and slasher films. I don’t consider blood, gore, torture, dismemberment, and decapitation to be frightening .They’re just revolting, stomach churning.
My scary movies tend to fit more into the psychological fright and haunted house sub-genres.
Here’s a personal list of my five scariest movies. Be warned!
- The Haunting — 1963 black-and white version with Rip Torn, Julie Harris and Claire Bloom only. NOT the awful, over-the-top remake.I dare you to watch this and then turn out the lights.
- Session 9 — Filmed right here in Massachusetts at the old Danvers State Mental Hospital. If you watch it on DVD, check out the section called The Haunted Palace.
- Let the Right One In — The horror builds as you realize what’s going on. And you want to stop it, but can’t. No spoilers here.
- Aliens — This is one case where the sequel is more frightening than the original. Be sure to watch the full version with the robo-guns scene.That’s the part that gets me every time.
- Psycho — I saw this as a kid in the drive in. Like many girls of my generation, it made me think twice about taking a shower.