Monday Author: Susanne Skinner
I am away this week at my company’s annual users’ conference. This is my biggest professional deliverable for the year. I plan, manage and execute a $1 million, three-day conference for our 500-member user community and I also attend it. The weeks leading up to this event rob me of free time and the week following the conference is pure down time. Blog topics abound, without the time to give them my full attention.
In lieu of my Monday musings I thought I’d share a few things that have been on my mind and my reading list. The world-wide web gives us relentless non-stop news. Not all of it is bad and not all the reading is heavy handed. Sometimes the interesting things get buried behind the headlines but they still deserve our attention. Lately I’ve been thinking about them.
No matter where our interests lie there is news out there and the Internet of Things has something for everyone. We’re smart people. We recognize the importance of staying informed and on top of current trends.
Lately I’ve Been Reading
Reading jump-starts my thinking and increases my curiosity. Here are a few of the stories I’ve been following, along with my current reading list. Staying informed keeps me intellectually opinionated – as opposed to just opinionated.
- Opt Out of Everything: Internet intrusion—you can run but you can’t hide. Or can you?
- The Top Ten Things Everyone Needs to Know: Looking for a Conversation Starter? Here you go!
- Is the truth still Out There? Mulder and Scully say it is and return with the X-Files after 13 years to bring us up to date.
- Will She Run? Hillary for President: A woman in the White House? Why not—it’s time to stir things up in the old boys club.
- Water for the Bees: Even if you don’t have a garden, this is a simple way to care for our bee friends and keep them safe.
- Game of Thrones: The wait is over. I am hosting a GoT opening night party in my hotel this Sunday. Open bar.
- Boston’s Winter From Hell: Feel my pain—it really was that bad, and it’s not over yet. Snowflakes remain in the forecast and our heat is still on.
- Princess Kate—Heir to the Queen of the People’s Hearts: my fascination and love for the Royals continues.
- As You Wish: A 25th anniversary retrospective of The Princess Bride, written by the Dread Pirate Roberts himself. The audio book is even more entertaining as the actors themselves share their stories. Find your DVD and watch the movie again.
- Life in a Jar: The Irene Sendler Project: a Holocaust story that is so much more; re-discovered and brought to life by a group of high school students. Kleenex required.
- Trapped Under the Sea: Our April book club selection tells the story of the Deer Island Tunnel, a ten-mile multi-billion-dollar project designed to clean up polluted Boston Harbor. A feat of modern engineering that went horribly wrong. It’s not pretty.
We live in a big world. Things are happening that we should know about. Be part of the conversation.